Z4 ENERGY SYSTEMS, LLC 25 Dizzy Horse Road Buford, Wyoming 82052 U.S.A. (307)766-5044
Z4 solves problems for rural homes, farms, ranches and small business by developing useful, smart residential scale renewable energy products.
Product: Rotor Blade for Residential-Scale Horizontal Axis Wind Turbine
Problems with residential-scale wind turbines:
- Low energy production
- High up-front costs
- High cost of maintenance
- Payback periods can be 17 to 30 years
The Solution is Z4's rotor blade design for horizontal-axis turbines
- Blades bend and twist in response to changing wind speed
- Twist to "feather" to "fly" through turbulence
- Maintains optimum generator speed
- Harvests more energy
- Controls overspeed
- Use on upwind and downwind machines
- Thermoplastic composite materials are durable, lightweight and 100% recyclable
1.5 kW prototype blades have been fabricated and field tested for 6 months.
Z4 is seeking a strategic partner to collaborate on optimizing a residential-scale turbine with our custom blades for increased energy production and improved turbine maintenance and lifespan.
This research is funded by the National Science Foundation under SBIR Phase II Grant No. IIP-0924695. "An Advanced Aeroelastic Thermoplastic Composite Blade for Residential Scale Wind Turbines."
Kevin Luke, Principal Investigator